Vaughn Farm and Orchard has been functioning in one form or another since 1902, last year marking 110 years!
The land was purchased originally by Johann Friderich Ludwig (Lewis) Niedermeyer, near Jacksonville, Oregon. The family cleared the land of chapparel, oaks and buffalo grass and raised sheep, cattle, hogs, small grains and alfalfa. The land has passed through two generations of the family since.
In 1994, Ed Vaughn, a retired Forester/Silviculturist, bored with retirement, and hankering for a 24/7 job, and his wife, Nancy Niedermeyer Vaughn, decided to plant 22 acres of pear trees. After much planning (as is Ed's way), building, and planting, the first true crop of pears was produced in 1998.